Christopher Freeman's Lecture at SPRU (Link to The Vega Science Trust page): Professor Chris Freeman, the founder and first director of the Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU) at the University of Sussex introduces J.D. Bernal. As well as becoming one of the first social scientists Bernal was the father of the protein crystallography techniques which enabled the double helix structure of DNA to be unravelled. Bernal`s major impact on scientific research in the post-war industrialised economies through his 1939 treatise "The Social Function of Science" is discussed. The presentation and ensuing debate with key scientists such as John Maynard Smith also probe the complex political pressures to which Bernal was subject during the period 1930-60. With an introduction by John Murrell. [External Link: http://vega.org.uk/video/programme/86]
Freeman's speech at the opening of the institute (UNU-MERIT) 1988: Freeman emphasized in particular the importance of the need for intellectual and financial independence from changing policy fortunes. The other lectures at that opening were given by the late Ilja Prigogine and Zvi Griliches.
Six lectures by Professor B. Å. Lundvall
1.The role of National Systems of Innovation
4. Africa's Innovation Systems -II AfricaLics Conference Kigali, 2015
2. Innovation policies from a systemic perspective
5. on 'Modes of Innovation & Coordination of Innovation Policy'-2010
3. Havana Lecture, GlobeLics-March 19th 2015
6. Keynote at the 11th Asialics Conference 2014
Two lectures by Chris Freeman from SPRU
1. Historical evolution of capitalism - Waves, cycles and paradigms - Recorded at the University of Sussex on 23-02-1996
2. Evolutionary theory, growth models, Marxist theory of history and more - Recorded at University of Sussex, UK (c.1998).
More from SPRU
1. Creativity, change and constraints: The profound influence of Chris Freeman - Professor Lord Stern delivers the Chris Freeman Anniversary lecture at SPRU's 50th Anniversary Conference (September 2016)
2. SPRU Christopher Freeman Annual Lecture May 2017 - SPRU Christopher Freeman Annual Lecture given by Prof Luc Soete on 'Work for all or Mass Unemployment Revisited' on 4 May 2017.
Learning, Innovation and Competence Building Systems
A Lecture in 5 parts by Bengt-Ake Lundvall
Co-organised by the European Journalism Centre and the European Commission, the conference boasts the leading lights in technology and innovation
Two interviews with Bengt Ake Lundvall
1. On the origin and use of the concept National Innovation Systems - July, 2016
2. Why study innovation systems – and how? Bengt-Åke Lundvall responds to Academy Students’ questions - July, 2016